Notary Public Appointment (KRS 423.010)
Notary Public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:
- Applicant must be eighteen years or older
- Resident of county or work in the county
- Good moral character
- Capable of discharging duties imposed by law
- Cannot be a convicted felon
- Applicant must complete application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form. Form may be picked up in County Clerk's Office or can be downloaded from the Secretary of State website.
- Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of residence of the applicants.
- The completed application must be mailed to the Secretary of State, Notary Commissions, P O Box 821, Frankfort, KY 40602-0821. A $10.00 state fee must accompany the application.
- If approved, the applicant will be notified that a "Certificate of Appointment" has been sent to the applicant's County Clerk.
- The applicant must come to the County Clerk's Office to take the oath of office and post bond. The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner cannot live in the same household. The property owner must come to the clerk's office and sign for the applicant.
- The recording fee is $19.00